Fix for Focusrite Scarlett blue screens on Windows 10

UPDATE: Focusrite have released a new version of their driver, which is compatible with all the 1st-generation Scarlett devices. So there is no need to install old drivers anymore!

Recently I got a used Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st gen) and I was very pleased with the sound and feel of it from the start.

First thing to do was to download the driver from Focusrite's official page. Their drivers still work for Windows 10, although not officially supported.

Then I plugged it in, and... It didn't work.

I had plugged it to a blue USB 3.0 port. After trying one of the black USB 2.0 ports, it worked fine. And it sounds very nice!

Unfortunately, not long after I got it my Windows 10 PC started bluescreening once a week.

After a bit of wondering I realized the issue: The USB cable I used must be an old USB 1.0 cable, while the Scarlett 2i4 is a USB 2.0 device! After changing the cable to a USB 2.0 one I never had a bluescreen again.

And, probably the Scarlett 2i4 also works fine from the USB 3.0 port. Haven't tried it though. In any case, you will need at least a USB 2.0 rated cable.

Hope this helps if you're running into similar problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to install and play Curse of Monkey Island on Android

How to fix the weird audio bug in Kingdom Come: Deliverance

How to get rid of coil whine just by tweaking BIOS

Fix the login loop in Xubuntu 24.04

How to find the ScummVM game folder on Android

Create a sleep timer for Youtube, Twitch, Netflix etc. on Windows 10