Upgrading Ubuntu 10.04 to 11.10.

Due to the Kernel of my current Ubuntu Linux being incompatible with the new squashfs, I wanted to update my Ubuntu desktop to the newest version, 11.10. The old version I was using was 10.04 LTS (long-term support).

The process had to be done in three parts, and took a quite long time (~3 hours). If you have a slow internet it could take much more. But at least the process was straightforward.

First, I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 with this guide (quoted below).

Upgrade from 10.04 LTS to 10.10 - Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Desktops (Recommended)


You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.
  1. Open the Software Sources application from the System -> Administration menu
  2. Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources application
  3. Change the Release Upgrade drop down to "Normal Releases" and close the application
  4. Press Alt-F2 and type update-manager 
  5. Click the Check button to check for new updates.
  6. If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
  7. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
  8. Click Upgrade.
  9. Follow the on-screen instructions.


The process took about 40 minutes. I still had to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 and from 11.04 to 11.10, so at this point I realized it will take a while.

After the upgrade was ready, I rebooted the computer and once again opened the update-manager and clicked on the "Upgrade" button. The upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 took about 50 minutes for me.

And then at 11.04, after the reboot, I did the same thing again. Again, the process took about 50 minutes.

So finally I had arrived  at 11.10. Things look a lot different now, but it didn't take too long to get used to. And finally the squashfs-tools work!

Hint:
If you don't know how to see the version of your Ubuntu installation, type cat /etc/issue in a terminal window.

Comments

  1. I think 3 hours is too musch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but installing it from scratch would mean much more than 3 hours in my case.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to fix the weird audio bug in Kingdom Come: Deliverance

How to install and play Curse of Monkey Island on Android

How to get rid of coil whine just by tweaking BIOS

How to fix the Anno 1404 out of memory error

Intel HD Graphics problem "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

Where does uTorrent keep its .torrent files?