Windows update KB4565351 fails with error 0x800706be

I have a problem with Windows Update. An update fails every time, causing the computer to be locked out of new updates. 

The problem is with update KB4565351.

I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 version 1909, running on a ThinkPad X201 laptop. The update fails with error code 0x800706be.

First try: Running Troubleshooter for Windows Update

First I tried the troubleshooter for Windows Update. Like I expected, it did not find any problems. Oh, well.

Second try: Resetting Windows update

Next up, I tried this solution to reset Windows update:
https://appuals.com/fix-windows-10-update-error-0x800706be/

It did not help. I still got the same error. 

I also found another, slightly different solution for resetting the Windows Update.

Third try: downloading the update manually from Microsoft Update Catalog

Then, I tried downloading the KB4565351 manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog. I got the version for x64 Windows 10 1909. After downloading, I ran the package by double clicking on it. Windows Update Standalone Installer started.

It showed the following messages:
Copying packages to the Windows Update Cache...
The updates are being installed
Initializing installation... Done!
Installing Update for Windows (KB4565351) (update 1 of 1)...

It took a really long time, and seemingly got stuck at about 20%. I waited for an hour and got fed up with it. Then I canceled the process.

But canceling got me nowhere. The update was stuck there. I restarted the computer and selected "restart anyway" and found myself back on square one.

Fourth try: Trying to reset Windows Update, again again.

I tried this:

1) Turn off Wifi (set airplane mode on)

2) Start cmd.exe as administrator and type

taskkill /f /fi "SERVICES eq wuauserv"
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
net stop wuauserv
cd c:\windows
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /S C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

3) Restart the computer and try Windows update again.

No help.

Fifth try: Trying to reset Windows Update, again again again

I followed the instructions here:

The script ran through, and after a reboot and running Windows update I was back to square one.

Conclusion

I'm currently out of ideas. Seems like a repair upgrade of Windows 10 is the only way to go from here. For that, I need to backup all the data and basically reinstall Windows 10 on top of the old installation. Unbelievable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to install and play Curse of Monkey Island on Android

How to get rid of coil whine just by tweaking BIOS

How to fix the weird audio bug in Kingdom Come: Deliverance

How to find the ScummVM game folder on Android

How to fix the Anno 1404 out of memory error

How to play Anno 1404 multiplayer in local area network